Thursday 3 December 2015

Reflection on Dave Hewitt's Video

Our class watched two parts of the video that focuses on Mr. Hewitt's teaching strategies on mathematics for elementary and middle school children. The video was very inspiring as it allowed me to think of some the practical teaching methods that I could incorporate into my classrooms. From the video, I really admired the various scaffolding techniques that Mr. Hewitt used in bringing movement, sound, wait time, repetition, and discussions into his teaching method. I could see that students were more engaged from implementing this strategy. I also noticed that Mr. Hewitt didn't speak much or jump in right away when asked a question, but rather he let students to think through the problem and work out themselves, little by little, until they get the right answer. Even though his presence and authority is still in the room, it seemed as if he gained students' respect and trust in creating a more comfortable environment for students' learning, regardless if they made a mistake or not. I had learned a lot from Mr. Hewitt's teaching strategies, and I need to keep them in mind when I teach math classes in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment